Right on the heels of our great experience at Allison's Woods this weekend, we will be taking a day trip to the Guilford Courthouse National Military Park on Sat., Dec. 1. Our preparation time is short, so please read this email carefully and respond as, when and to whom requested.
Here are some resources for your voluntary review:
- See forms at the bottom of this page including questionnaire and map needed on the trip.
- Park web site, www.nps.gov/guco/index.htm. This site contains much historical information.
- Old North State Boy Scout Council web site, www.bsaonsc.org. Go to the Forms Page and scroll down to the Guilford Courthouse heading. Information on award scouts can earn.
- Map that shows Nat Greene Trail.
Each scout that completes the work and a questionnaire that day will earn the Guilford Courthouse award from the Old North State Council Boy Scout Council and a patch and medallion. Four scouts working on the communications merit badge will give a presentation on the trip, the Park, the history and the award at the troop meeting on Nov. 26.
Here is our schedule for Dec. 1:
- 6:40 am. Arrive at hut.
- 7:00 am. Leave hut.
- 9:15 am. Arrive at Lake Brandt Marina in Greensboro and take Nat Greene Trail to Old Battleground Road and follow the road to the Park entrance. 4.25 miles.
- 10:45 am. Arrive at Park visitor center. Watch 40 minute film at 11 am and 10 minute film at 11:45 am. Tour museum.
- Noon. Musket demonstration.
- 12:20 pm. Walk to Colonial Heritage Center (8 minutes) and have lunch outside. Water available. Tour period buildings and museum.
- 1:30 pm. Walk back to Park, tour grounds and monuments, and answer questions.
- 3:30 pm. Gather at Green Monument, check answers and ensure each scout has a completed questionnaire.
- 3:45 pm. Walk to visitor center and bus. Mr. Hunting will get Park Ranger to stamp questionnaires.
- 4:05--4:35 pm. Depart for Charlotte.
- 6:10--6:40 pm. Arrive at hut.
- Eat a good breakfast. No stops on the way.
- Bring a snack to eat on the morning hike and a snack to eat just before the bus leaves the Park for Charlotte.
- Bring a back lunch and a nalgene. Water is available at the Park and the Colonial Heritage Center.
- Scouts may eat only in the visitor center parking lot. No eating in rest of Park.
- Bring a day pack and other desired, permitted items.
- Wear class B uniform: brown shirt, green pants and socks, hiking boots; no neckerchiefs or tennis shoes. Bring a rain jacket and other weather appropriate clothing.
Scouts, Please email or call you patrol leader before Tues, Nov 20, at 7:01 pm and let him know whether you will go on this trip.
Patrol leaders, Please follow up with each patrol member from whom you have not heard by 8:01 pm on Tues, Nov. 20. (Feel free to reach out to them earlier, even at the court of honor tomorrow.) Please report to Jacob McElhaney and Jack Cross by email or telephone on Wed, Nov. 21 who in your patrol will attend. (You may be able to give them a written list at the court of honor tomorrow.)
Adults, Please email me before Thanksgiving and let me know if you will be going on this trip.
Thanks to everyone. Please let me know if you have any questions.