Deadlines and other issues that require action on your part for our Summer Camp trip on June 17-23, 2012 to Camp Ottari
1. (past due) Money - The price for base camp at Ottari is $280/scout (Claytor Lake is $320/Scout). See Greg LeBlanc, Joel Kepley or Lou Magaldi to make your payment.
2. (selection closed) Merit Badge Selection- Attached is a copy of the merit badge choices/descriptions for 2012 . This is a 10 page document that goes over each merit badge offering, prerequisites and expected added costs (for material). Attached here is an 8 page document that contains the merit badge selection sheet. You will want to print out only page 8 and have your son fill it out. He fills it out by:
If you have any questions about the merit badge selection process, see Steve Hunting, Mr J or me.
Your scout will turn this form in on or before Monday, April 23, 2012.
3. (past due) Medical Forms - All scouts need to have their updated medical forms and a copy of their insurance card turned in on or before Mon, May 21, 2012 to Leslie Rowell. She needs 2 copies of each. For the medical forms, please do not use double sided paper (I will be scanning all the forms so we have an electronic copy). For the insurance card, please copy the front and back of the insurance card onto 1 side of 1 sheet of paper . Attached is a copy of the BSA medical form . Pages 1 and 2 are instructions, pages 3-5 are what needs to completed and turned in. YOU WILL NEED CLASS A, B and C of the form. This requires a doctor's signature. If your son has been to the doctor within the past 12 months, just send the form over to the physician and have them complete and sign. If not,you need to get your son in for a check up. If you will not make the deadline due to insurance cycles, let me know.
4. Packing Lists - Attached is a suggested packing list for Base Camp. You will want to pack in a plastic tub (with a lid) or low profile foot locker. Remember – NO ELECTRONICS at camp.
5. Mandatory Check-In- We will have a mandatory check-in on Sat, June 16, 2012 starting at 8:45 a.m. at the hut. We should be done in under 90 minutes. We will
I need 9 volunteers to cover these 8 stations. We will hold everything in the hut. If you can help out, please let me know. I will consolidate all stations that involve money so you can write one check (balance due, Troop supplies, Friday nite meal).
If you can not make this check in, make arrangements with someone to get your Scout's gear to the hut that Sat morn.
When we depart on Sun, June 17, 2012 at 9:00 a.m., your Scout will be in Class A (no neckerchief or slide), have their day pack and a lunch with them. No electronics.
6. Volunteers - It looks as if we will have 32 Scouts at summer camp. We will need 6 adult volunteers for coverage. The Troop covers your cost for the week, so you only have to pay with vacation time. This traditionally the time when we provide time off for our Scoutmasters, so we are leaning on you to provide the necessary coverage. If you can volunteer your time for half or full week, please let me know.
7. Medications. I handed out Blister Pacs used for Prescription Meds. If you need one and did not get one, see me. Update: If you did not receive instructions with the Blister Pac, please see Kevin Woods on Monday, 6/11.
8. Family Picnic, Friday (June 22, 2012 at Ottari) - It is our tradition that we invite our parents up to summer camp for a Friday evening picnic. The picnic will start at 5:00 p.m. and parents usually stay for the evening camp fire. It is a good time to see what your sons have done for the week and the camp fire is usually pretty entertaining. We ask that attending parents bring a side dish. Also if you are not attending the picnic, please consider sending a dish with someone who will be going. The main course is typically Price's Chicken. There will be a $5 per head cost for this picnic. We will collect this payment on Saturday at our check-in. Update: Amy Woods will be in charge of the picnic this year. Please contact her with any questions.
9. (selection made)Select an acting Senior and Asst Senior Patrol Leader for Camp Ottari - If you son is interested in either role, have them contact me. The SPL and ASPL will be responsible for consolidating the patrols, arranging for participation in the camp cook off (who are the chefs, menus, ingredients, utensils) for Wednesday evening , setting duty rosters. Update: Ross Woods will be SPL, Colin Read will be ASPL.
10. Troop Gear List - I need to get a Troop gear list to Chris Baxas, get it set aside and then loaded on the trailer on Sat, June 16, 2012 after check in.
11. Adult Volunteer Meeting- For the adults going to Ottari, we will have a brief meeting on Wed, June 13, 2012 at the Scout Hut at 7:00 p.m. I want to make sure are all on the same page. Our volunteers are
12.(selection closed) Merit Badges - Has your son gone through their merit badge selection to see what prerequisites there are for camp? Have they gotten a copy of the merit badge book? IF no, they should at least see what is required, print off a worksheet from ( click here to go to a web site that has worksheets for each badge http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Merit_Badge_Worksheets )
13. Uniform - Every scout must have his Class A uniform at camp(no neckerchief or slide). This includes T-33 hat. Come to the hut wearing your full class A (except neckerchief and slide and sash)) on Sunday when we depart for camp. While at camp, the Scouts will wear their red T-33 T shirt and T-33 hat. This will help the adult volunteers identify our Scouts while they are walking around the camp.
14. Spending Money – at camp. Each scout should bring some spending money to camp. Parents, use your discretion. Scouts will have to keep up with this and manage this on their own. There is a snack bar and trading post at the camp. You can rest assured whatever you send will be used to buy soft drinks, ice cream, snack foods and their equivalent. There is plenty of food for the boys at the dining hall (they will not go hungry for the lack of available edible food, however if they can go for empty calories if they have money to spend, they will pass up the dining hall food). OK, I will get off my soap box now.
NOTE: There are knives available for sale at the Trading Post. To buy a knife, the Scout will need an adult with him to purchase it(Camp Policy). If you want to allow your son to buy a knife, you need to send me a note (email is fine) providing your approval. One of the adult volunteers will go with your son to make that purchase. Also note you can get the same knives in Charlotte at a 25-30% lower price than at Camp
15. Directions – A map to Camp Ottari and Claytor Lake is seen below(From Charlotte, take I-77 N, to I-81 N then follow the below, "Map to Ottari.pdf").
16. Mailing Address – Mailing address for Ottari and Claytor Lake are listed below – Scouts like to get mail at camp! You should post the mail no later than Monday, June 18, 2012 to make sure it gets there. Yes you can send mail to them before they depart to Camp!
17. Emergency Contacts: Please see email sent on 6/6/2012.
18. Hotels - If you would like to spend the night in the area Friday night after the picnic, below is a list of hotels in the area along with phone numbers:
The last three are closer to Camp Ottari
19. Return Home from Camp – Saturday June 23rd – Before any Scout can depart on Sat, June 23, 2012, we will need to be checked out by the Camp Ottari staff and have all Troop Gear loaded. This is typically completed by 8:00 - 8:30 a.m. on that Sat. If you are picking your son up from camp (you will let us know at the Sat, June 16, 2012 Check-in), please plan to arrive no later than 8:30 a.m. on that Sat. If you son is traveling on the bus , we will probably depart between 8:30-8:45 a.m. We will expect to arrive at the hut at ~ noon. All Scouts, whether you have returned home on the bus or with your parents, are expected to be at the hut at noon to help unload the trailer and put away Troop Gear. If Scouts are traveling with their parents and not returning to Charlotte after departure from Ottari, you are excused (but let me know ahead of time).
20. Merit Badge Prepays – See email sent on 6/13 for a list of merit badge prepays that were made by the Troop during merit badge registration. The prepays were $27.50 for Indian Lore , $6 for Leatherwork, $5 for Woodcarving and $2.75 for Archery. You will be asked to make payment for these charges during check-in this Sat(other possible charges you may incur are for the picnic, any uniform items you buy and/or balance due for camp). We will consolidate this into one payment during check in (It will be at station two).
As we get closer to the various deadlines, I will provide further info.
2012 Event Archive >