See forms at bottom of this page in addition to links found in the text.
I recommend that each parent read the short leader's guide for the camp your scout will attend. This will give you an overview, including a recommended personal gear list.
The leader's guides are located here:
General: (updated 2/13)
- Dates: June 15 -- 21
- Location: We will have scouts attending summer camp at Camp Powhatan
base camp and Claytor Lake aquatics base camp this
summer. For more information on those two programs, please visit the web
site of the Blue Ridge Scout Reservation and click on the Summer Camp tab:
- Attendance: (past due) If you would like to participate in summer camp, which is a lot of fun, please send me an email and let me know. If you have have attended summer camp three prior years, you may attend the program at Claytor Lake.
- Contact Information. An email was sent out Feb 13th with an attached contact
information document for summer camp families. Please review it, verify
the information, and email any missing information to Kevin Woods. If you would
like another adult listed, please send Kevin the information. We will use this
information for emergency and other communications from summer camp.
- Claytor Lake Only. If your scout takes the personal watercraft class, your scout and you will be required to sign the Participation and HoldHarmless Agreement. Please read this form now. I will collect the signed forms shortly after we complete the May 31 merit badge online signup process.
Gear / Equipment (updated 3/16)
- Official Guides. Please take a look at the personal equipment checklist in the Administration Guide:
- Troop 33 Guide. See attachment at the bottom of this page.
- Foam pad and sleeping bag
- Plastic tub that fits under cot
- Synthetic fabrics that can be rinsed and reused
- A scout needs less clothes than you might think.
- Snacks in sealed plastic container. Will put in trailer each night.
- Optional funds for camp store and ice cream
- Pocket knife purchase rule
- No electronics other than watches and headlights (extra batteries)
TENTATIVE Schedule (updated 3/16 - check back as date approaches)
- Pre-departure Saturday 6/14
- June 15, 9 am at the hut
- All scouts must attend and check in all gear, except class A uniforms (with neckerchief and slide but without sash).
- Need adult volunteers for the following sign up tables: 1) final medical forms and med pacs; 2) Friday night dinner sign up; 3) special transportation arrangements on Saturday, June 22; 4) confirm merit badge books, special materials and prepay amounts; 5) uniform purchases; 6) post-camp BOR signup.
- Departure Sunday 6/15
- All scouts must arrive at hut by 8:41 am.
- Patrol file at 8:46 am
- Bus departs at 9 am.
- Bring a bag lunch and drink.
- While at Camp
- See attachment at the bottom of this page for daily activities.
- End of Camp Dinner, Friday 6/21
- All parents invited
- Need parent volunteer to organize and deliver
- Historically has been Price's fried chicken plus parent-supplied pot luck items
- Return Saturday 6/22
- Arrive at hut by noon
- Each scout will ride back on the bus unless he is headed for a destination other than the Charlotte area.
Medical Forms and Needs: (updated 3/18)
- Medical Form. Each scout and adult
going to summer camp will need to complete BSA medical forms part A, B and C.
Part C must be signed by a doctor or other medical professional included
in the BSA description.
- Download Forms. That description and the medical forms can be
found at: http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/healthandsafety/ahmr.aspx.
- Due Date - May 15. We would like to have all medical forms completed and turned into Steve Hunting by May 15, 2014. If you will be sending it later in May, please let Steve know now.
- ADULT LEADERS GOING TO SUMMER CAMP. You will need to send your completed medical form (including the part the physician signs) to Steve by May 15 as well.
- Allergies. When you turn in the medical forms, please
include a description of any allergies your scout has and any medications you
scout will need to take during summer camp. Please let Steve Hunting or Kevin Woods know if
you have any questions.
- Insurance Card. A copy of your insurance card with the medical form. When you copy the insurance card, please copy the front and back of the card onto one side of one page of paper. Please do not copy the front of the card onto 1 page and the back onto a second page and then staple it together.
- Medicine. In the past, the camp has used "Blister Packs" for sending medication to camp. This year, the scouts and their adult leaders will be responsible for storing and distributing medication. Please let Kevin Woods know if your scout will or may be taking medication during summer camp.
- Special Dietary Needs. Please let me know.
- Total Cost. The total cost per scout for Camp Powhatan is $310.
The total cost per scout for Claytor Lake is $340. Each scout
attending will need to make a second $100 deposit at or before the troop
meeting on March 24.
- Please make checks payable to Troop 33 and give it to Lou Magaldi, our summer camp treasurer, or Kevin Woods.
- Initial Deposit. (past due) Each scout planning to attend must give the troop an initial deposit of $100 at or before the troop meeting on Monday, January 27. You may give your check made payable to Troop 33 to me at the Jan 13 meeting or the Jan 27 meeting
- Second Payment. The second $100 payment will be due at or before the
troop meeting on March 24. Before is better. Please adjust the check so that your total payments to date is $200 per scout going
to summer camp. (For most people, that will be $100 per scout, because
most people paid $100 as a first deposit.) The troop must mail a second $100 per scout to Camp Powhatan by April 1. We will be having our Merit Badge program on March 31.
- Final Payment. Balance due to Lou Magaldi at Troop meeting on May 19.
- Troop must pay by June 1. (No Troop meeting on Memorial Day, May 26.)
- Refund Policy. Deposits are due on February 1st and April 1st. The balance of fees is due on June 1st. We have until April 1st to cancel our reservation and receive a refund. After April 1st we will not receive a refund except “in the case of death of an immediate family member, sickness or injury, or military transfer” a refund of “all but $100 of fees paid when verified by a physician, military commander, or such official…Reasons such as vacation schedule, summer school, and last minute changes of mind are not acceptable reasons for refunds.” In summary: Change your mind before April 1st = full refund. After April 1st only injury/death/transfer are valid reasons to obtain a refund of fees paid minus $100.
Merit Badge Registration: (updated 1/23)
- We will receive
the list of merit badge and other classes for which scouts can sign up after
- Powhatan merit badge classes. Please go to the last page of the Leader's Guide at the following link: 2014 Powhatan Leader's Guide. There you will find the 2014 merit badge class schedule. Please be thinking about your scout's first and second choice in each hour slot. I will ask you to send me your scout's choices in May.
- Claytor Lake merit badge classes. Please go to the last page of the Leader's Guide at the following link: 2014 Claytor Lake Leader's Guide. There you will find the 2014 merit badge class schedule. Please be thinking about your scout's first and second choice in each slot. I will ask you to send me your scout's choices in May.
- Sign-up form. See attachment at bottom of this page.
- Each scout's requests, plus at least three alternates, due to Steve Hunting and Kevin Woods by Troop meeting on May 5.
- Each scout must have all six time blocks (9, 10 and 11 am and 2, 3 and 4 pm) filled.
- Make sure your scout meets all prerequisites.
- Include some Eagle required merit badges.
- Questions? Ask Kevin Woods or Steve Hunting.
- Need adult volunteers to help with web site sign up around May 31.
SPL and ASPL: (3/16)
- If your scout is has already been to summer camp one or two years, please ask him if he would like to be the senior patrol leader (SPL) or assistant senior patrol leader (ASPL). If he is interested, please have him send me an email. The adult summer camp leaders will select the SPL and ASPL in early May. This is a good leadership opportunity.
- Will designate by May 19 Troop meeting
- Will require some preparation before June 15
- Duty roster
- Scout teams for dinner and desert competitions
- Camp leadership meetings
- Volunteers: We need at least four (4) adult volunteers on site at
base camp (Powhatan) each day. If you have an interest in serving as one
of the adult leaders at camp for a full or partial week, please let Walter
Linker or me know
- Bus driver
- Trailer hauler
- Please feel free to contact Kevin Woods if you have any questions.