Grimes Fire - You can Help!

posted Nov 21, 2016, 8:42 PM by Lance Read   [ updated Nov 21, 2016, 8:44 PM ]

On the evening of Sunday November 13, 2016 the dining hall at Camp Grimes was destroyed by fire. It has been determined that the fire originated in the kitchen and was the result of an accident. It was not caused by arson, nor related to the wildfires in western North Carolina.

Thanks to the efforts of firefighters from across McDowell County, the open shelter adjacent to the dining hall was saved, along with the rest of the camp property. No one was injured by this fire.

Although Troop 33 has attended summer camp at other camps over the past few years, Camp Grimes has been one of our council camps for 40 years. Many of the Scouts who have passed through Troop 33 remember this facility from their summer camp experiences. Troop 33 has invested a great deal of time and resources over the years assisting in the maintenance and improvement of the camp property. This is a great loss for our local Scouting community.
The council is already moving forward with plans to raise funds to replace the dining hall with a larger, modernized facility.


If you would like to contribute to the clean up and replacement efforts, please click Go Fund Me - Camp Grimes

For the official statement from our Council Executive, Mark Turner, click Full Story

Comments