High Adventure

posted Jun 5, 2012, 6:58 PM by Lance Read   [ updated Jun 7, 2012, 5:02 PM by Jean Doiron ]

New release forms added here: High Adventure - July 7th.  Please fill out and get a copy to Greg LeBlanc.

I’ve checked with Naturally Superior and they say cell phone coverage will be limited or non-existent for most of our paddling trip, but we should have some near Wawa and Sault St Marie.  If you plan to use a cell phone in Canada, check with your phone provider because you may have to have them turn-on coverage for Canada for your phone.  Of course, at an additional charge.  Our guides will be bringing a satellite phone for emergency calls.  They and I will bring VHF radios for weather and emergency calls to the Canadian Coast Guard.

Also if you plan to make a future foreign trip, you need to check with the U.S. State Dept. to see if the country you are visiting has a Passport Expiration Restriction.  Some countries require that your passport cannot have an expiration date of less than X months (often 6 months) or the won’t let you enter.  Canada does NOT have this requirement – I checked.

John Bedford


We had a meeting last week for HA. Here are some key “To Do” items and dates:

  • Next Meeting Dates: 
    • June 14th 6:30 at the hut: Equipment Check: EVERYONE on the HA trip needs to attend. We will pull out equipment for trip, check it for completeness and set it aside for the trip 
    • June 28th 6:30 at the hut: Shakedown: Everyone needs to attend. Bring everything you plan to take for the trip to be checked out 
    • June 30th 9:00 at the hut: ALL HA PARTICIPANTS REQUIRED TO ATTEND. Food Prep Day. Everything Repackaged and packed up for the trip 
  • SPL: Jacob McElhaney ASPL: Cary Gavin 
  • Dry Bags: If anyone has Dry Bags they can lend to scouts, let me know. Plan to bring them to the hut 
  • Trip Cost: Still working on it. 
  • T-Shirts: See email sent ealier. If your name is not filled in for size and # of shirts, please let me know. We need to get the order placed.

Mike Olert

I found the statements below on the State Department’s web site and on the Canada Border Services Agency’s (CBSA) web site regarding permission for a non-parent, non-guardian to supervise children going into / out of Canada.  

State Department - Travel with Minors: If you plan to travel to Canada with a minor who is not your own child or for whom you do not have full legal custody, CBSA may require you to present a notarized affidavit of consent from the minor’s parents. Please refer to the CBSA website linked above for more details. There is no specific form for this document, but it should include dates of travel, parents’ names and photocopies of their state-issued IDs. 

Canada Border Services Agency: Adults who are not parents or guardians should have written permission from the parents or guardians to supervise the children. The consent letter should include addresses and telephone numbers where the parents or guardian can be reached.

I have attached the sample letter provided by CBSA.  I have prefilled the area labeled “information about accompanying person” and “contact information during trip”.  We should obtain this form for each minor child traveling with us that will not be accompanied by their own parent. 

Joel Kepley

Full trip information and all forms are found here: High Adventure - July 7th