High Adventure

posted May 6, 2012, 12:25 PM by Lance Read   [ updated May 14, 2014, 8:40 PM by Jean Doiron ]

This is the initial communication about forms needed for the High Adventure Trip on July 7-17, 2012 to Lake Superior. 

All attendees will need
  1.  Class 3 Physical that is <= 1 year old. Attached is copy of the form just in case you do not have one. (NOTE: I HAVE ATTACHED A COPY THAT HAS 2 COVER PAGES FROM THE BLUE RIDGE COUNCIL - YOU CAN IGNORE THOSE, YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PAGES 3-5 OF THE FORM). If you have already submitted an up to date MedForm, you do not need to resubmit it. If you or your son has had a physical  after July 17, 2011, you can just ask your doctor to fill in the blanks, you do not need to get another physical.
  2. Passport - Everyone will need a passport. They are good for 5 years if you are < 18 years of age and good for 10 years if you >= 18 years of age. the process is outlined below

a. go here to determine what form you need http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/forms_847.html It will depend on whether it is a new or renewal application and the age of the applicant
b. gather the necessary proof
1. Proof of citizenship - Birth certificate is the most likely or an expired passport
2. One current ID
c. Get Passport photos - The UPS store is good place to get these made
d. Money - You will end up writing two checks for your passport. (one to the USPS and one to the USDept of State, so don't go to apply unless you have 2 checks in your check book). It will be ~ $135 for adults and $105 for children. I suggest you just get the book (not the book and card).
e. Go to the USPS - Once you have the app, proof, photos and your checks, go here to find out the nearest PO (make sure you select passport in the location type drop down menu). My best luck has been with the McDowell PO downtown. They open at 8:30 a.m. I suggest you show up by 8:00 a.m. to hold your spot in line

If you have any questions about the passport application process, let me know. They claim 4-6 weeks to get a new application turned. My experience is that it actually takes less than that. But you need to get hustling. You can always pay someone to expedite it if you don't want to deal with the hassle. go here for an example  http://www.uspassportnow.com/?gclid=CLyR4ajv5q8CFRNS7AodtReb4A

  1. Insurance Card - Please copy your the front and back of your insurance card onto the one side of a sheet of paper and submit with your medical form. 
  2. Parental Letter of Authorization - I will get a release letter out in the near future. Parents need to sign it for each Scout attending and return it.
  3. Meds - We will collect all prescriptions drugs just before we depart. Prescription medication should be in its original container (if possible, if not put in a container with info from the original label) in a zip lock bag with the user's name on the bag. We will carry over the counter meds in the first aid kits.

If you have any questions, let me know. I strongly suggest you get moving on the physicals and passport if you have not already.

Greg LeBlanc

Full trip information and all forms are found here: High Adventure - July 7th